http://www.codingindelphi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Logo-300x138.png 0 0 email@example.com http://www.codingindelphi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Logo-300x138.png firstname.lastname@example.org 13:16:032015-08-08 09:16:44Flotsam and Jetsam #107
- David Millington of Parnassus Software – author of the great and free Bookmarks plugin — has released a new commercial IDE plugin called Navigator. Looks pretty sweet.
- The book is this close to being done. I just have to get it past the folks at CreateSpace. Actually, the writing and editing is all done, it’s just the publishing part that is ongoing. You can find out more at http://www.leanpub.com/morecodingindelphi.
- Lots of interesting things happening at Embarcadero. Here are my comments on the various events:
- Embarcadero acquires assets of Raize Components – I really like this. First, I love Codesite. It’s a great tool for debugging. Many folks don’t realize that you can even use it to remotely instrument your application. Ray Konopka is a fantastic, meticulous developer who has forgotten more about UI design than I’ll ever know. Interestingly, both products are being sold as separate products, and not integrated into Delphi/RAD Studio. Perhaps we’ll still see a “lite” version in Delphi.
- Embarcadero unveils BeaconFence –- Now this is really cool. Beacons are growing in popularity, and you can do some really cool things with them. BeaconFence allows you to use beacons in some very cool ways. Imagine you are a warehouse, and you have a whole bunch of robots carrying product around to people who ship things (Cough, Amazon, cough). BeaconFence would allow you to know the location of everyone of those robots down to the inch. Or imagine you are a zoo – you could build an app that guests could download and run that would help them navigate around, find exhibits, and generally know where everyone is at any given moment – perhaps offering a discount as the guest walks buy the sno-cone vendor. This is some cool stuff, folks.
- CodeRage X is coming up on October 13-15. You can sign up here and you can submit your presentation ideas here.
- EKON 19 is coming on November 2-4. I’m going to try to be there. Always a good event.
- I’m going to be giving a Skill Sprint on Dependency Injection on August 18th during the new series of Developer Skill Sprints. You won’t want to miss it. Sign up today.