- Two things about Martin Harvey’s threading article that I posted. First, Alexey Gavrilov was kind enough to send me version 1.1a, which I have posted. Second, it turns out that the article/book is available on CodeCentral. So if you want to download it for yourself, you can. But now, at least, people can find it online.
- Embarcadero has put out a pretty cool “commercial” on YouTube. I think it is very nicely done.
- There is a new Delphi book out: Cross-Platform Development with Delphi XE7 & Firemonkey for Windows & Mac OS X by Harry Stahl. Only a couple of reviews on Amazon – one good and one not. Thanks to Robert Dawson for pointing it out in the newsgroups.
- Weird. Both Microsoft and Embarcadero are left off of this list.
Threading in Delphi, or in any other tool for that matter, is difficult. There are a lot of good resources out there for Delphi developers, but perhaps none better than Martin Harvey’s “Multi-threading: The Delphi Way”. There is a copy of it here — http://thaddy.co.uk/threads/ – but sadly it doesn’t include the graphics and the code.
Well, I was working on the TThread chapter for my new book, and guess what I happened across on my hard drive? The entire copy of Harvey’s work, including the graphics and the code samples. I have no idea how I came to have it, but I do. I thought it would be worth posting in its entirety, so I did:
It’s all there – graphics, code samples, and text. I hope I’m not violating any intellectual property rights in posting it. I certainly am grateful to Mr. Harvey for his work. If I am doing wrong here, please let me know and I’ll take it down. I’d hate to have to do that, though.
Otherwise, there it is as a valuable resource for the Delphi community. I hope it is helpful to someone.
- I mentioned this video before, but it is so good I’m going to mention it again: Parallel Programming Library: Create Responsive Object Pascal Apps. Danny’s blog is in Dutch, but he has an English entry that includes the source code to his session.
- Something I’m surprised by: The number of questions on the Delphi StackOverflow tag that deal with integrating with Excel. Also, tons of Indy questions.
- This is interesting: Jon Aasenden is creating DelphiArmy – a real, no kidding jobsite for Delphi developers. I’ll be interested to see how that goes. It appears to be alive and running, so make an entry if you need to.
- I’ve mentioned free this tool before, but its usefulness is so awesome that I wanted to point it out again. It’s called “Everything”, and it allows you to search for any file by name on your entire system. It’s lightening fast, and I use it probably twenty times a day to find things I’m looking for. It’s one of the first things I install on a new system. Truly outstanding and amazingly useful. Highly recommended.
- While I’m at this “mentioning before” thing, I’ll give a strong endorsement to the Delphi-built Clipmate. Again, I use this thing about 25 times a day. It’s a clipboard cache that remembers what you’ve put on the clipboard. It’s not free – but it’s well worth the price. Saved my butt a thousand times, too, when I overwrite something on the clipboard that I didn’t want to.
- The inestimable Malcolm Groves has a nice series going on the new Delphi Parallel Library. Recommended reading.
- I put a tag cloud over there on the left. Now I just have to remember to put tags on all my posts.
- I welcome feedback on the new blog. As I said, my goal is to keep the blog as simple and clean as possible and the content as interesting and useful as possible.
- I guess I should have realized that such a thing would exist, but I just found the Delphi Reddit. Thanks to folks that post my blog entries there.
- Another entry in the “How did I miss this?” department: A guy named Branko Stojakovic has built a blog covering most of the Gang of Four patterns. Maybe I did mentioned this before – I have a dim memory of it – but anyway, worth looking at and learning from either way.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- August 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014